Skip to main content

Yellow Ribbon

The past few days has been rough not only to the Philippine nation, but has been gloomy to the family of former president Corazon Aquino.

I have never been a fan of politics ever since, nor am I a fan of it today. The dirt dished out by politicians to their opponents has been a silent war that I never bothered opening my ears to. Many of the open positions during elections use the youth as an excuse for them to be voted, which is probably why I never registered for the last election. If the youth is our nation's hope, then the ones seated shouldn't mask out our voice -- the truth.

One politician, though I definitely wouldn't label her as one, but rather a Filipino of dedication, amidst all this hunger for popularity and even more wealth touched me incomparably.

I remember when I was to get my braces adjusted, Willie Revillame was as usual hosting his noontime show saying that if presidentiables want to make change, then he/she need not be seated in the palace. I couldn't agree more.

During the reign of Mrs. Aquino, I wasn't old enough to see how well or poorly she was doing. I didn't have the voice nor the capacity to formulate one. So definitely, I could never be in the position to speak of her as a president. She didn't run to have the position again, but despite that, she remained visible and active as a leader.

Surely Mrs. Aquino was a simple woman. I could see that in the way she pulls herself together, not an ounce of extravagance, nor a pint of a luxurious lifestyle. She was a woman of power, but never has she used this to her advantage.

You might be asking what the relevance of this entry is to the site's vision. At an immediate glance, maybe not as big as you think, but going into the bigger picture, you'd have a reason to be saddened of her death.

Aside from the fact that Mrs. Aquino helped the nation reclaim its stolen freedom, she has managed to be a good role model to Filipinos as well, and me in particular.

For a gay man to be living in a country where discrimination is very much felt, it's quite hard to make a stand for what is right. More often than not, I have chosen to be quiet about what I feel instead of fighting for what is right and affecting change which led to an even longer period of agony and disappointment. Though it is my fellow countrymen who are discriminating me for being who I choose to be, I never had the urge to hate them. For who am I to do such act anyway? Just because they've wronged me doesn't mean I can't give them the chance to mold their beliefs for the better.

I remember this one time when I was in my hospital duty in the delivery room and all the staff nurses were curious enough to know my real sexuality. They had all the possible indirect questions you could think of just so they could make me say I was gay. To end their questioning, courageously I said, without a bit of regret nor doubt, "I'm gay, and everybody knows it." I thought to myself, the only reason why we're being treated as "sick" people is because we allow them to think of us that way. Letting them think that being who we are is a negative thing, or that all of us gay people know nothing more than just having sex with our own kind. I had to put an end to this, and if what was needed to be done was one random act every single day, then we are certainly looking towards a future that lies in our hands. My shift ended with the nurses inspired of how proud I was for being myself, for having the guts to come out despite others choosing to hide from something that shouldn't be avoided to begin with.

My high school principal has embarked a tip that will forever live in me. Keep it short stupid (K.I.S.S.) Though this entry of mine to this site is short, I feel there isn't any need to prolong it with flowery words that are purely unnecessary anyway. I have made my point and just want to serve as an inspiration to everyone, may they be a member of this group or not.

Corazon Aquino had the courage to push laws into limits you'd never think would be successful, but she has surprised many with what she was able to accomplish, even after her term has ended. As a citizen of this hopeful country, I for one am glad to have been inspired by this marvelous legend, teaching me, that one individual who is whispering the truth, could be heard from a mob of screaming lies. Truly the Filipinos are worth dying for. For we are a nation where the people residing in it are capable of accomplishing great things, may we be gay or straight.

Tita Cory bids us goodbye, but I'm glad you're welcomed home.

-----

Remcyl Viloria
-a 4th year nursing student of Escuela de Nuestra Senora de La Salette Dagupan City has been living his life as a proud gay man since he was 19. Despite society's stereotyping, he excels as a freelance hairstylist, wedding singer, and graphic designer.

Comments

LoF said…
I was old enough to watch the people of Manila topple Marcos with Cory Aquino as their titular leader. She was a symbol for peoples all over the world -- especially in Eastern Europe and Asia -- to peacefully protest the end of ruthless regimes. However, after two decades of dictatorial rule, she was confronted with right wing extremism in the military and a highly successful civil war run by the left. Her inability to do much during her term was only because she had to spend so much of it protecting the political process itself.

That was here greatness and what people around the world will remember. The rest of it, exempting Hacienda Luisita from agrarian reform, terminating all of her left-leaning cabinets members after the first two coup attempts, etc., jumping into every minor political scandal after retirement was that of an ordinary politician and nothing great in itself.

It is sad that our domestic media does not focus too much on what made her great and focuses way too much on the petty stuff and the intrigues. Perhaps it is because a part of us cannot face our own greatness as a people.

Popular posts from this blog

Mga parausang lumang sinehan

NAG DESISYON na ang Korte Suprema na labag sa Konstitusyon ang ordinansa na nagbabawal ng short time sa mga motel sa siyudad ng Maynila. Wala na ring balak pa umanong maghain ng apela si mayor Alfredo Lim sa naturang desisyon. Nagbabala naman si Lim na handa niyang ipasara ang anumang motel sa lungsod ng Maynila sakaling may makita sila na pinapayagan na magpapasok ng mga estudyante para magshort time. Pero, teka, ito talaga ang pakay ko, ang mga lumang sinehan sa Metro Manila. Taong 2005, balak ko na itong iparating sa dati kong boss na Kongresista, ang patuloy na pamamayagpag ng mga lumang sinehan sa Maynila. Subalit, may tila tinik sa aking lalamunan na nakabara. Tila, wala akong boses sa tuwing ako ay maghahanda sa aking mga sasabihin. Tila, nakagapos ang aking mga kamay para isulat ang mga hakbang na dapat kong irekomenda para masulosyunan na ito. Alam ko, ikaw ay pamilyar ukol sa mga lumang sinehan sa buong Kamaynilaan. Sa unang pasok ko sa ganitong sinehan, ako ay tuwang tuwa.

PILIPINAS, TUNAY NGA BANG MALAYA NA?

NGAYON ANG IKA 111st NA ANIBERSARYO NG ARAW NG KALAYAAN NG PILIPINAS. Ngunit, sa paglipas ng isang daan at labing isang taon, tunay nga ba tayong malaya na? May mga pagkakataong gusto kong isipin na hindi na tayo nakagapos sa mga bansang banyaga dahil nagkaroon na tayo ng kalayaan sa pamamalakad ng gobyerno. Ngunit, ano ang kalagaya n ng mga Pilipino ngayon? Mayroon na nga ba siyang dangal na matatawag? Taas noo na nga ba ang bawat Pilipino kahit kanino? Sa mga nakalipas na araw, samu’t saring problema ang dinaranas ng ating bansa. Mga problemang lalong nagpapalugmok ng bawat mamamayan. Mga problemang animo’y walang ka tapusan. Paano babangon ang isang Juan dela Cruz kung mismong mga namumuno sa ating bayan ang nagbabangayan? Paano tayo makakalaya kong mismong mga halal ng bayan ang siyang nanguna upang itali ang bawat mahihirap na pinoy sa kanilang pamamahala? Paano na ang walang tigil na pagbulusok ng presyo ng mga pangunahing bilihin? Ang walang humpay na pagtaas ng gasolina. Paano

Rainbow Blog of the Week

The search is on for the most anticipated competition in the world of blogging parrots. Presenting..... Rainbow Blog of the Week Mechanics. Nomination 1. All members/supporters/visitors are welcome to submit their nominations on the comment page of "Rainbow Blog of the Week". 2. All submitted links or nominations are subject for verification and authenticity. 3. Only the fist five nominees will be accepted every week. 4. The lists are then consolidated and submitted to the screening commitee. 5. All blogs that are previously nominated can be nominated again, except the blogs who won the Rainbow Blog of the Week for three (3) times. Voting 1. Everyone can vote on a daily basis. 2. The poll result shall constitute 40% of the total score. Criteria for judging Aside from the number of votes garnered from the poll, nominees are also given additional points by the judges based on the following criteria. There shall be three (3) to five (5) judges and the average of their scores for