Skip to main content

At last a children's book with a transyouth character

Photobucket

It’s called 10,000 Dresses and is written and illustrated by Marcus Ewert and Rex Ray respectively. I have not read it yet but I know that it has been getting rave reviews. Below is how one site, Sevenstories.com, describes it:

Every night, Bailey dreams about magical dresses: dresses made of crystals and rainbows, dresses made of flowers, dresses made of windows. . . . Unfortunately, when Bailey's awake, no one wants to hear about these beautiful dreams. Quite the contrary. "You're a BOY!" Mother and Father tell Bailey. "You shouldn’t be thinking about dresses at all." Then Bailey meets Laurel, an older girl who is touched and inspired by Bailey’s imagination and courage. In friendship, the two of them begin making dresses together. And Bailey’s dreams come true!

This gorgeous picture book—a modern fairy tale about becoming the person you feel you are inside—will delight people of all ages.


I already checked local bookstores here and predictably, they don’t have it yet. I hope that 10,000 Dresses gets distributed in the Philippines though for I cannot stress enough the importance of having a book such as this around. It not only affirms the existence of gender diversity in childhood but also gives it a face and voice. Bailey is the youth embodiment of the “gender that dare not speak its name.”

Growing up, people around me always pointed out how different I was from the other boys. I was soft, feminine and preferred “girly” things. They would whisper about me or the way I acted and every time they had a chance would tell me, one way or another, that I must change, must try to conform or there would be consequences. Sometimes I would just shrug these comments off. Sometimes they would really get to me. I lost count of the many times I would hide in my room and cry over the things that people said. One way I learned to cope was by burying myself in books.

We’ve always been a reading family thanks to my college-educated parents. I read my first novel when I was 12 which was itself a culmination of reading various prose and poetry since I learned how to read when I was 6. I’ve never stopped reading from then on. Reading to me started out as a form of therapy, an escape to the world of words. When the real world got too much to bear, I would pick up a book, cuddle up in bed, stay in and read till it was time to get back again to the business of attending school, doing house chores, participating in family activities, etc. But what began as a coping mechanism ended up becoming a pleasurable hobby.

I read anything and everything I could get my hands on. Always, however, I would get a feeling that something was missing. In college, a literature teacher who was openly gay hit the nail on the head when he said, “Much of the literature we grew up reading was not meant for an LGBT audience” or something to that effect. And it really made sense!

I never saw someone like me in any of the things I read. In fact the first time I encountered a trans character in a novel was when I read Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City series. I was already 19 then I think. When I did, I didn’t think that it was too late though. On the contrary, I thought exactly the same thing when I heard about 10,000 Dresses: “At last!”

It is my wish that this little gem of a book helps parents of gender non-conforming children look at their own kids with kinder, more compassionate eyes. More importantly, I hope that this book will end up in the hands of those same gender non-conforming kids so that they will see themselves, feel right and have hope.

Comments

Ming Meows said…
i remember when i was young, i used to design the dress prints of paper dolls
Mac Callister said…
is this the one they made a movie about?

maybe i'll find a copy after im done with eclipse hehe
PinayTG said…
@Ming Meows: I used to do that as well! I made paper dolls and put them on stands. The dolls' dresses had flaps on the shoulders that you folded to attach to the dolls. :)

@Mac Callister: I don't think so Mac. This book just came out in January. There's a very nice Belgian film though called "Ma Vie En Rose" or My Life in Pink which tackles the same issue. Watch it when you can. It was very well made and made me cry! :)
Marcus Ewert said…
Hi folks- this is Marcus Ewert- who wrote 10,000 Dresses. (Yes- I DO Google my book obsessively!)

PinayTG- thank you so much for your very kind mention of my book- and I hope you like it when you see it.

Your story about growing up was very moving. It just kills me how cruel people can be to kids, kids who are just being themselves. Anyway- *clearly* you have come through the experience with your wit, and beauty, and strength of character intact- to say the least - and God bless you!

Take care, my dear!
Your new friend in San Francisco-
Marcus
PopMax said…
is the book available here? or just online? sad naman if online lang :(
PopMax said…
if they make it available here, do you think the local bookstores will have the balls to put it in the children's section? like everything lgbt, it might end up in the psychology section. at least, the big natio in cubao had a gay/lesbian section the last time i checked.
PinayTG said…
OMG boys and girl! Rockstar in the houuuuuuuuuuuuse! Marcus Ewert himself! :)

Thanks Marcus for your equally kind words and for stopping by our lil online community. You are always welcome here.

And yes I know I will love and treasure your book. Thank you for writing it from the bottom of my heart. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Mga parausang lumang sinehan

NAG DESISYON na ang Korte Suprema na labag sa Konstitusyon ang ordinansa na nagbabawal ng short time sa mga motel sa siyudad ng Maynila. Wala na ring balak pa umanong maghain ng apela si mayor Alfredo Lim sa naturang desisyon. Nagbabala naman si Lim na handa niyang ipasara ang anumang motel sa lungsod ng Maynila sakaling may makita sila na pinapayagan na magpapasok ng mga estudyante para magshort time. Pero, teka, ito talaga ang pakay ko, ang mga lumang sinehan sa Metro Manila. Taong 2005, balak ko na itong iparating sa dati kong boss na Kongresista, ang patuloy na pamamayagpag ng mga lumang sinehan sa Maynila. Subalit, may tila tinik sa aking lalamunan na nakabara. Tila, wala akong boses sa tuwing ako ay maghahanda sa aking mga sasabihin. Tila, nakagapos ang aking mga kamay para isulat ang mga hakbang na dapat kong irekomenda para masulosyunan na ito. Alam ko, ikaw ay pamilyar ukol sa mga lumang sinehan sa buong Kamaynilaan. Sa unang pasok ko sa ganitong sinehan, ako ay tuwang tuwa.

PILIPINAS, TUNAY NGA BANG MALAYA NA?

NGAYON ANG IKA 111st NA ANIBERSARYO NG ARAW NG KALAYAAN NG PILIPINAS. Ngunit, sa paglipas ng isang daan at labing isang taon, tunay nga ba tayong malaya na? May mga pagkakataong gusto kong isipin na hindi na tayo nakagapos sa mga bansang banyaga dahil nagkaroon na tayo ng kalayaan sa pamamalakad ng gobyerno. Ngunit, ano ang kalagaya n ng mga Pilipino ngayon? Mayroon na nga ba siyang dangal na matatawag? Taas noo na nga ba ang bawat Pilipino kahit kanino? Sa mga nakalipas na araw, samu’t saring problema ang dinaranas ng ating bansa. Mga problemang lalong nagpapalugmok ng bawat mamamayan. Mga problemang animo’y walang ka tapusan. Paano babangon ang isang Juan dela Cruz kung mismong mga namumuno sa ating bayan ang nagbabangayan? Paano tayo makakalaya kong mismong mga halal ng bayan ang siyang nanguna upang itali ang bawat mahihirap na pinoy sa kanilang pamamahala? Paano na ang walang tigil na pagbulusok ng presyo ng mga pangunahing bilihin? Ang walang humpay na pagtaas ng gasolina. Paano

Rainbow Blog of the Week

The search is on for the most anticipated competition in the world of blogging parrots. Presenting..... Rainbow Blog of the Week Mechanics. Nomination 1. All members/supporters/visitors are welcome to submit their nominations on the comment page of "Rainbow Blog of the Week". 2. All submitted links or nominations are subject for verification and authenticity. 3. Only the fist five nominees will be accepted every week. 4. The lists are then consolidated and submitted to the screening commitee. 5. All blogs that are previously nominated can be nominated again, except the blogs who won the Rainbow Blog of the Week for three (3) times. Voting 1. Everyone can vote on a daily basis. 2. The poll result shall constitute 40% of the total score. Criteria for judging Aside from the number of votes garnered from the poll, nominees are also given additional points by the judges based on the following criteria. There shall be three (3) to five (5) judges and the average of their scores for